We had a great time browsing the various vendors at the Manhattan Vintage clothing show last Friday. This called to mind for us the trickier task of caring for older garments. For those who love incorporating vintage pieces in to your wardrobes:
* use padded hangers if hanging your pieces to store them
* some garments, like beaded chiffon dresses from the 1920s, should be stored flat if possible; the heavy beading will pull at the unsupported strap seams
* avoid cleaning as much as possible
* if garments have a smell when purchased, use a solution of 1 part vodka 1 part purified water in a spray bottle to lightly mist on clothing
* do not store items in plastic bags; store your pieces in undyed muslin covers or leave uncovered in your closet
Founded in New York in 2001, Garde Robe is the nation’s leading luxury wardrobe storage and preservation service. Garde Robe serves fashion collectors, stylists, and designers through a full suite of services that includes museum-quality fashion storage, professional wardrobe photography, digital wardrobe management through its exclusive-use Cyber Closet application, concierge delivery, luggage-packing and global shipping, and expert garment care.